The Challenge Cup continues a new era with some exciting and significant changes. This event is currently on a three site rotation including three of the most prestigious golf venues in the Commonwealth; Idle Hour Country Club, Valhalla Golf Club and The Club @ Olde Stone. Since its’ establishment in the 1970’s, Kentucky’s finest amateur and professional golfers have gone head to head to retain or regain the “Cup”.
Changes began in 2015:
- Teams from the KGA and the KPGA are now composed of 12 members chosen by the use of the past year’s Player of the Year standings. Team captains will continue using their two at-large selections after the initial 10 players have been confirmed.
- The team and individual match play format will be decreased from 36 holes to 27 holes. The first 9 hole – Four-Ball Team, Second 9 holes – Alternate Shot Team and the third 9 holes – Singles Match Play.
- Begin the day with a “Pairings Draw Breakfast”. Possible food options being buffet items such as omelets, pancakes, muffins, breakfast meats, fruit, juices, coffee and milk. By draw, one of the captains will conduct a pairings selection for their first 2-man team and the first match. The opposing captain will then do the same and that match would be set. The opposing captain will then make his selection and the process will alternately continue until all teams and matches have been selected.
- If golf course is available, the starting groups will occupy both sides of the course during the morning rounds. That will place three matches per side in an attempt to narrow the time of completion for all team matches. At lunch, another pairings draw will be conducted and singles matches set. These matches will be sent off of one side only and all matches will consist of 9 holes only.
- There will be an afterglow with assorted snacks and drinks available. The winning team will be recognized and ceremoniously awarded the “Cup”.
Event sponsors will be allowed access to the players and may follow play on the golf course. Players will receive team uniforms and any sponsors’ gifts the morning of the event. All players must follow all guidelines of dress and conduct dictated by the host venue.