The Kentucky Golf Association has announced the final event to earn points for the USGA State Team Championship and Challenge Cup, as well as updates to the Kentucky Amateur Points System (KAPS).
The Kentucky Four-Ball (August 6-7) is the final event players can earn Bushnell Amateur Standing Points to qualify for the USGA State Team Championship and the Challenge Cup. The top three eligible individuals on the Bushnell Amateur Standings will represent Kentucky at the USGA State Team Championship, September 28-30 at Birmingham Country Club in Birmingham, AL. The twelve eligible individuals on the Bushnell Amateur Standings and the top two seniors (55+) on the 2015 Player of Year Standings will represent Kentucky Amateurs in the annual match against the Kentucky PGA Professionals, September 1 at The Club at Olde Stone in Bowling Green.
The KAPS is a comprehensive standardized points system used by the KGA to track the various player standings. Those player standings include the Bushnell Kentucky Amateur Standings and Bushnell Player of Year Standings. The KAPS was launched last year and the 2016 updates were based some housekeeping items, as well as feedback from players of all the age divisions.
“We created the points system to not only identify who the best players are annually, but also determine eligibility for special events and reward players for frequent participation,” states KGA Executive Director, Steve McMillen. “Point systems can never be perfect, but we have the player’s attention as it is a topic of conversation on and off the course. As such it is important we listen to our player’s feedback and make tweaks to the system as necessary.”
Summary of System Updates
- Bushnell Player Rankings – change from a 52-week to a 104-week rolling cycle
- Players must play in open division events to earn Bushnell Player Ranking points
- Kentucky’s Mid Amateur, Four-Ball, Senior Amateur, Senior Team – increased overall points value
- Match Play – changed allocation for places 2-16
- Kentucky Open – point distribution based on finish against amateurs only
- USGA Four-Ball – points from qualifier will count the year the championships is played
- USGA Four-Ball – points will not be split like other team events
- USGA Championship Qualifier Bonus – changed point total to be the same as for qualifier and exempt
- KGA Amateur Series – add additional places 6-10
- KGA Amateur Series Championship – increase points to be double of a regular events
Kentucky Amateur Points System …click here >>>
Kentucky Amateur Points System Chart …click here >>>